We recognise the importance of privacy protection. Our policy for dealing with any personal information that you might disclose to us while visiting this website is explained below.
The type of personal information that we collect from you will depend on how you use our website. You can be certain that the information we receive about you will be treated as strictly confidential.
The personal information that we collect, hold and use
When you engage our services
We only collect information about you which we believe is reasonably necessary for, or directly related to, the services we provide.
We only collect sensitive information about you if you have consented to the collection of the information and we believe it is reasonably necessary for, or directly related to, the services we provide.
All information collected is by lawful and fair means.
At or before the time or, if that is not practicable, as soon as practicable after, we collect personal information about you, if reasonable in the circumstances, we will notify you of:
- Our identity and contact details;
- If you are unaware that we have collected your personal information, the fact that we have done so;
- If the collection of the personal information is required or authorised by or under an Australian law or a court/tribunal order, the fact that the collection is so required or authorised including the relevant details;
- The purposes for which we collect the personal information;
- The consequences (if any) for you if all or some of the personal information is not collected by us;
- Any other entity, body or person to which we usually disclose personal information of the kind collected; and
- The existence of this policy in order to inform you of:
- How you may access your personal information and seek the correction of such information;
- How you may complain about a breach of the Australian Privacy Principles and how we will deal with such a complaint; and
- Whether we are likely to disclose your personal information to overseas recipients.
If we hold personal information about you that was collected for a particular purpose, we will not use it for another purpose unless:
- You have consented to the use or disclosure of the information for that other purpose; and
- One of the following applies:
- You would reasonably expect us to use or disclose the information for that other purpose and the information is related to the primary purpose or if sensitive information, directly related to the primary purpose;
- The use or disclosure of the information for that other purpose is required or authorised by or under an Australian law or a court/tribunal order;
- A permitted general situation exists in relation to the use or disclosure of the information for that other purpose; or
- We reasonably believe that the use or disclosure of the information for that other purpose is reasonably necessary for one or more enforcement related activities conducted by, or on behalf of, an enforcement body.
We will not use your personal information for the purpose of direct marketing.
We will take steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to protect your personal information from misuse, interference and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
If we no longer need your personal information that we hold, unless we are required by or under an Australian law or a court/tribunal order, to retain the information, we will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to destroy the information or to ensure that the information is de-identified.
When you visit our website
We do not collect or use any personal information e, through the use of "cookies" or other software or hardware techniques. We look at the number of hits the site receives and keep track of the domains from which this site is accessed. To determine what our users are interested in, we may also look at the top 20 search words used in connecting you to this site.
If you log onto the website and read or download information our Internet Service /Hosting Provider, will record your server address, domain name, the date and time of your visit to our site, the pages viewed and the information downloaded. This information is used for statistical and web site development purposes only.
We can also determine if you emailed any articles of interest to a friend using our 'email a friend' functionality. We record the email addresses of these recipients which may be used for our own marketing purposes.
The information collected will be used to send you e-mails when content relevant to your areas of interest are added to the site. The information may also be used to inform you of any forthcoming event that might be of interest to you.
The circumstances under which we disclose information about you
It is our policy not to sell or pass on any personal information about you unless we have your express consent to do so. This includes the disclosure of personal information about you to overseas recipients.
An exception to this is where disclosure is required by or under an Australian law or a court/tribunal order.
How you may access your personal information
We will, on request, give you access to your personal information which we hold unless:
- We reasonably believe that giving access would pose a serious threat to the life, health or safety of any individual, or to public health or public safety;
- Giving access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of other individuals;
- The request for access is frivolous or vexatious;
- The information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings between us and yourself, and would not be accessible by the process of discovery in those proceedings;
- Giving access would reveal the intentions of us in relation to negotiations with you in such a way as to prejudice those negotiations;
- Giving access would be unlawful;
- Denying access is required or authorised by or under an Australian law or a court/tribunal order;
- We have reason to suspect that unlawful activity, or misconduct of a serious nature, that relates to the provision of our services has been, is being or may be engaged in and giving access would be likely to prejudice the taking of appropriate action in relation to the matter; or
- Giving access would be likely to prejudice one or more enforcement related activities conducted by, or on behalf of, an enforcement body; or
- Giving access would reveal evaluative information in connection with a commercially sensitive decision-making process.
We will respond to a request for access to the personal information within a reasonable period after the request is made.
What to do if you believe the information we hold about you is inaccurate
- We are satisfied, having regard to a purpose for which the information is held, the information is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading; or
- You request us to correct the information;
we will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to correct that information.
We will respond to a request to correct personal information within a reasonable period after the request is made.
What to do if you believe the Australian Privacy Principles have been breached
If you believe that we have breached the Australian Privacy please contact us to discuss the matter. We will use our best endeavours to address your complaint in a satisfactory manner.
You also have the right to make a complaint to the Australian Information Commissioner about an act or practice which may be a breach of your privacy.